The 24-hour Health Advisor offers access to a professional assistance service that deals with any health query 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
This service is offered in the majority of the official South African languages.
24-hour Health Advisor services provided:
• Counselling on any chronic ailments or diseases
• First aid advice in an emergency until medical help arrives
• Stress management
• Assessing day-to-day symptoms: gives advice on various common illnesses such as colds. Although unable to diagnose, the advisor (nurse) has access to a computer database and his/her own clinical experience for guidance and refers members to appropriate healthcare.
• Important health knowledge: on any aspect of health, explains various medical terms, results of tests and procedures as well as give dietary and medication information.
• Drug database: provides information on specific drugs, the contraindications, when they should be taken and whether there are any dietary specifications.
• Poisoning: the immediate and long-term needs are addressed with the member who will be referred to a medical facility. An ambulance will be dispatched for critical patients.
• Trauma debriefing: a debrief takes place with an invitation to call back if needed. If professional assistance is needed, the nurse will advise the member to seek a trauma counsellor for a one-on-one session.
How to make use of this benefit:
• Contact 082 911
• Ask to speak to a nurse
• The nurse will then assess your symptoms and provide you with advice