It is normal to gain weight during pregnancy as your body is storing nutrients and healthy fats for breastfeeding. This is not the time to diet, but to ensure that you’re giving your body everything it needs for motherhood.
1. You need protein every day. Most health experts recommend 2 – 3 servings a day. These could be cooked fish, chicken, eggs, liver, nuts, lamb or beef.
2. Your body and your baby needs about 2 servings (each is half a cup) of legumes every day. These are beans, peas or chickpeas
3. You should be eating 4 servings of calcium a day. This is not just calcium from dairy. Many foods contain high quantities of calcium. Good examples are: milk, eggs, yoghurt, white means, almonds, salmon and cabbage.
4. Iron is very important and you need 2 servings a day. Spinach, cabbage and other leafy green vegetables all contain iron. It’s also a good idea to take a supplement if you can.
5. You need 3 servings of wholegrains every day. A serving is about half a cup or one slice of: bread, cereal or oats.
We hope that you enjoyed these tips and that you’re having a wonderful pregnancy.
Did you know, with GetSavvi we offer unlimited doctor’s visits within our network? Get in touch with us to find out more and to become a member. Call us right now on 0861 18 92 02 or email email@example.com and we’ll call you back!
GetSavvi Health offers full maternity cover of R20 000 for a normal birth and R30 000 for a caesarean delivery (C-Section).Our maternity cover also includes visits to the gynaecologist and ultrasound scans. Read more by clicking here.